Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Prince George, Chetwynd & McBride (B.C.)

Vulcan AleLast weekend, I had hoped to go to Spock Days, in Vulcan Alberta. But, I didn’t get to go… maybe next year. This year, the guest stars were Robert Picardo, Ethan Phillips, and Rick Sternbach.

I did happen across Vulcan Beer, though, which honors Vulcan’s Centennial Year. The Star Trek website says: ”How often, after a tough day, have you muttered the words, “Man, I wish I could have some Vulcan Ale right about now”?” … I haven’t actually said that…but I am curious to try it.. I found it for sale at Zyn, in Inglewood.

So, back to our Yukon-Calgary roadtrip.

After leaving Dawson Creek, and no longer on the Alaska Highway, we came across Chetwynd.

Welcome to ChetwyndChetwynd is an interesting town, that, it seems, is famous for it’s chainsaw art.
 
The first of the chainsaw art was a scene with 3 bears, made in 1992, as part of the “Welcome to Chetwynd” sign. Since then, the collection has grown, and the whole town has chainsaw sculptures on display. (I didn’t know that we were supposed to be on the look-out for art, so I only caught the edge of the “Welcome” sign as we zoomed by.)
MooseCowboy
Main Street
 


The Chetwynd Chainsaw Championship was just this past weekend! What good timing was that? They estimated that there would be 120 sculptures at the completion of the competition.
 
Next stop was Prince George. After being there, the song that comes to mind is “She ain’t pretty, she just looks that way.”
I think even people who live there and love it, have to admit that, despite the pretty scenery, it STINKS!!!
 
"THIS STINKS!"It was so terrible, that as we were driving down the main street coming into town, and I was taking pictures of the town, etc., I heard Shannan say (all muffled): “I hope I don’t offend the locals.” She had her face completely buried in her shirt as she drove us through town. (Another moment that caused me to laugh till I could hardly breathe.)
 
We had decided (in advance) to stop there for the night, and the boys (still driving behind us) wanted to go to a cheap(er) hotel, but we decided we wanted something nicer, so, since we were in the lead car, we just passed right by the hotel they wanted, and went to the one that we chose. HOWEVER, the air was so terrible, when Shannan got out to go book rooms, she started gagging and had to get back in the car!! (SO, we lost that battle, and ended up at Peter and Rich’s choice.)
 
That all being said: by the time we woke up the next morning, we had grown accustomed to the rankness, and so, I suppose that’s how people stay there.
 
I’m not making this up – Prince George has large pulp mills and an oil refinery there, and they STINK!
Ancient Forest this-a-way
I suppose it’s unfair to say something that sounds so negative… but it was really part of our “adventure” and that’s what I know about it! It shouldn’t stop you from going to visit… although, it might prevent us from going back…. ever…. maybe.
 
We didn’t stay in town for breakfast, but headed off to see what was out on the open highway (the TransCanada Highway).
 
Somewhere between Prince George and a little town called McBride, is the Ancient Forest.
Ancient Forest
The Ancient Forest is estimated to be between 1000-2000 years old, and further up the trail (which we didn’t follow) are trees that are up to 16 meters (52 feet) in circumference. One tree (called “Big Tree”… really? that’s the best they could come up with??) is 5 meters (16 feet) in diameter and was probably a sapling during the peak of the Roman Empire!! Hmmmmm… this isn’t really that far from Calgary… I might actually go back there someday.
 
McBrideNot only that, it’s not that far from McBride, and a good friend of ours (Susanna) is from McBride, so maybe we can just follow her there at some point. (Susanna – if you are reading this… just so you know… that could be a plan.)
 
It’s a very small town (2006 Census is 660 only), which makes sense when Susanna told me that most of the amazing things to do there are all outdoors-y. Going to the Fraser River, Rainbow Falls, Tier Mountain, etc.
 
Chainsaw artThere were chainsaw sculptures on display there, as well – not sure if they are artist from McBride, or just a nice place to set up their art, right there, on the TransCanada Highway.
McBride Chainsaw art
Next stop: Jasper, Alberta.
Rocky Mountains

1 comment:

Pluto's Moon Beer Co. said...

We thank you for sharing the excitement that we shared with many friends and family at Spock Days last weekend over a few @vulcanale. LLAP!