Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"Three little birds, pitch by my doorstep"

"
Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', "This is my message to you-ou-ou:"
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing, worry about a thing,
oh! Every little thing gonna be all right. Don't worry!"
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing" - I won't worry!
"'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
"
(~ Bob Marley, Three Little Birds)


I was going to kick off my Biggest Ball of String blog with our road trip, which I called "the Biggest Ball of String roadtrip", since it's entire purpose was stopping at quirky roadside attractions.

But first! I have to tell you about our weekend camping trip - September Long Weekend - the last big camping trip of the year.

I should probably clarify who "we", "us" and "our" is. Usually, it's my husband, Peter, and me, and, if it's ground travel, it'll generally also include our two little mini dachshunds, Daisy and Coco.

We have a tradition - This is our 3rd Annual Last Hurrah with another family, Jessica & Kyle, and their two children and their two dogs, Police Outpost Provincial Park. (Apparently, the original Outpost was set up by the RCMP in 1891 to prevent smuggling, which makes sense, since it's right on the US/Canada border - walking distance, actually.)
http://www.albertaparks.ca/police-outpost.aspx

Just on the other side of the border (which is identified by a marker and a warning) is a very picturesque lake/pond called Pike Lake, on the Blackfoot Indian Reserve with Chief Mountain as a backdrop.  (I haven't been to the Lake, just to be clear!!)
The Campground is a great location! No utilities at the campsites, but there's water available, and bathrooms (like, upgraded outhouses - no showers).

It's also walking distance to the Outpost Lake, which is supposed to be good for fishing - Peter complains because it's now a..I forget what it's called - but a sort of trophy/competition lake, so you can only keep fish if they are 25" and you can't use bait, and I forget all of the restrictions.  We've been camping there for years, but these restrictions are new(ish).
Usually, a few more people come along, but there's not alot of volunteers - we are near Waterton Park, at about 1,390 meters (4,560 ft). It's CHILLY - at least at night !! (This is the first year it didn't snow, even though we did have frost a few nights.) 

Anyway, who cares about "the chill" when you have Wonderful Friends, Beautiful Scenery, and DeLISH food!
 However, the REAL reason I've interrupted my not-yet-established-blogging schedule is because
1) This happened to be a Blue Moon weekend!
and 2) WE FOUND A NEST OF BABY BIRDS IN OUR CAMPSITE!!!!
The first morning, we thought there were two babies, but NO! there were THREE!! "Three little birds...by my doorstep!!"

767 pictures later (and, by the way, I was a good, safe distance away - they just happened to be eye level and nothing blocking me from this one angle!), I had some GREAT PICTURES!!

We were there for 5 1/2 days, and we watched them go from eyes closed and just about see-through faces, to flexing their wings and trying to fly! I wished we could've stayed a day or two longer...

 

I should probably mention: they are Cedar Waxwings - so pretty! That's how we discovered the nest - staring at the beautiful parents flying around! (We would've noticed sooner or later, anyway, with all the peeping and fluttering!)




We had other experiences that made a memorable weekend! 
  • Creeping Coyotes
  • Stampeding Cattle
  • a giant Woody Woodpecker (well, we saw a Pileated Woodpecker, which looks JUST like Woody Woodpecker, BUT apparently Woody was actually an Acorn Woodpecker...which he doesn't look just like...weird)
  • a tiny chipmunk parade
  • All we could possible eat crab (was so good, I have to mention it twice)
  • Campfire margaritas
  • Fishing 
  • Sauerkraut Perogies (my favorite are cheddar cheese and potato) with Peter's Amazing Perogy Gravy, and last, but not least:
  • a GREAT visit with WONDERFUL FRIENDS !!
    OK! Back on my not-yet-established-track on Sunday (but later in the day :D) !

No comments: