Sunday, September 9, 2012

Welcome to the Biggest Ball of String Tour

I’m calling this "the Big Ball of String Tour" because - well, I like roadside attractions and other gimmicks. My sister once sent me a postcard from The Big Rock Candy Mountains, and wrote on the back: "Because you are the Big Ball of String Girl."

It’s true. I am. Ironically, I haven’t seen the Biggest Ball of String, or Twine, or Rope - whatever it is that they claim, BUT I do try to find the quirkiest things to see along the route on which I’m already travelling. I will detour off the beaten path, if the attraction can draw me.

Like, for example: We went almost an hour out of the way, over bumpy roads, following a horse drawn carriage and a truck carrying hay (mostly because we were lost), just to see the Toy Train Barn in Argyle, Wisconsin. It was totally worth it.
In fact... I think, depending on the time you’ve allowed yourself, what actually interests you personally, and how open you are to seeing quirky sights which may or may not interest you once you arrive, it’s always worth it. I mean, the worst thing that’ll happen is that you aren’t completely fascinated by the sight! But, even then, you probably took an interesting road and maybe had an interesting conversation along the way.

On our way to the Toy Train Barn, we passed a little Swiss Miss, out in the field, in her big "Little House on the Prairie" blue dress, and wearing her milk maid bonnet. We couldn’t have planned that! (I wasn’t prepared and didn’t take a picture.)

Our personal goal is to go someplace new every year. I mean, we do have our favorites that we revisit on a regular basis (Hawaii), but rather than repeating the same destinations over and over, we decided to make it a goal to go to every State in the U.S. and every Province & Territory in Canada (except Nunavut, because 1) it wasn't a territory when we started this venture and 2) I can't figure out how to get there...)

And, if we are repeating a destination (Hawaii), we add a new sight we haven’t seen or experienced.

We also end up in the same places repeatedly (Montana), because, well - most importantly, we have family there, and also, Montana is pretty much enroute to any new location.

Obviously, I haven’t been to every single roadside attraction - either because of lack of time, lack of knowledge or lack of interest. However, if you notice that I’ve missed something, you can either contact me and let me know - I will put it on the itinerary for next time, or... write your own book/blog (send me a link, if you do write your own! I’d love to read it!)

John Hancock's house, with little Daisy Deux
Here’s what I think is going to happen: As we travel, I hope to post photos (with the mini story, if there is one) every day, or there might be gaps, depending upon wi-fi access, how tired I am, or if anything happens that interest me (which is likely - there are a lot of things I find interesting...) When we’re NOT travelling, I plan to post on Sundays and Wednesdays, and share previous trip experiences.

I love feedback - even if it’s:

"you take too many pictures, and nobody cares where John Hancock lived",
or "seriously!? you drove that far just to see a giant eyeball?"

(...which, I don’t know how anyone could think that, but there might be some, and I’m willing to hear it.)

          See you Wednesday!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love it!!!

Richard, Brenda , Kian Dowedoff said...

I would drive that far to see a giant eyeball! How cool!!!!!!